Pages

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Mother Seed

They said f*** my face
I said no need
I've got seeds already

Seeds that will not grow into hatred
Seeds that will not ravage the land on which they stand
Seeds that will bear fruit to feed, not industrialise

As I speak, seeds fall out
Plantlings grow on the spot
They are my thoughts
There, up one rises
She is frightened, of what?
Poachers?
She is of torns, wary - to keep them away
My thoughts. But will it work?

I worry about the oceans
When fishes leave to never return
The whales echo, unimpeded
Voices swallowed by darkness
Where are the peoples of my sea
Why are the playgrounds silent?

A child springs forth
She is of vines, of scales
Her eyes are wide with fear
Of a net, a hook, a very loud noise
She is rooted, she cannot run
Only to wait... in fear

I cough, the air smells funny
A seed drops
This child, she is weak
She does not rise, but lies on the floor
She writhes, thrashes. Where's the sun?
Where's the water?
Where's the air?

I shake my head in disbelief
More seeds fall out
And yet some more

The children rise, of this and that
Soon, I am surrounded
by a forest of young plantlings
murmuring, muttering
Creating a hum of noise
of dread that rises to a crescendo

It shrinks me

I fall to the ground an empty gourd
Swarmed by my children...like ants
I'm seedless, dry, worn

I now walk weakened in that gourd shell
My children's voices rumbling on the other side
I am small
I turn a corner
And there she is...The ocean
Blue, bright, salted with life
Bordering her, a verdant forest
Birds flit in noisy harmony
Trees, tall - majestic

A stream runs by
It is clear, sparkling
I stoop to take a drink
It is fresh
I feel it emptying into me
Filling me up
Like my own blood would

I sit
A gourd in my hands
It softens
Flesh appears
then seeds

I think and a seed drops

- by TC Lai

(Poem was written after seeing Alicia de la Campa's artwork for the first time (pix above). Such lovely rhetorical pieces.)

No comments:

Post a Comment