Pages

Thursday 18 April 2019

Harm Sar Lei 咸沙梨

Here's a ditty from a Singapore 60s singer, Seung Kuan Lau Yun (Cantonese). Back then funny ditties set to popular 60s pop (and rock & roll) were quite the rage in HK. They also made an impact in Singapore and Malaysia. Title Harm Sai Lei, nickname of the character in the song and was actually derived from a fruit delicacy from Guangdong - Chinese pear sprinkled with a salty-sour pumice, quite like guava slices sold at today's pasar malam. This song is nostalgic as it speaks of Singapore's original satay stretch that was located along Beach Road, outside on the pavement of the St' John's Ambulance HQ. It later moved to The Esplanade (aka Queen Elizabeth Walk) as Satay Club, and then to Lao Pa Sat. Now part of it is also at The Esplanade's Makansutra Gluttons Bay. (One time was also temporary revived in Sembawang (next to SSC) as Satay Club years back).

This ditty was part of a three-song 45rpm vinyl, the cover of which is shown below. It shows the demolished National Theatre front. It also housed the popular Van Cleef Aquarium. Fort Canning.

The three-song vinyl link is here. The song begins at 4:49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDGKj98V0w


The solo song is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7BIKpS2b5M&fbclid

Translated lyrics (by TC Lai):

My nickname is Harm Sar Lei
Three meals no diff - always with just lo-mei (stewed street food)
This year I'm 44
Still single and without a matrimonial home
One night went out to Beach Road
Was thinking of having satay
Coincidentally at the next table was a modern (stylish) and pretty girl
The more I looked, the more she resembled my decades-ago old flame
Her name was Ou-yang Molly
Speaking of Molly, she and I had a history
She was staying at one end of the street, I - the other
At times we went on dates (paktor), other times
We went to the movies
Our passion was hot, like over 100-plus degrees!
It was really fun and exciting and we cared for little else
But as the saying goes, Sorrow comes after Happiness
When you think about, it's logical
Not long after, the Japanese furiously bombed us
One day bomb here, another day bomb there
I heard a bomb fell right on Molly's house
No one knew if she was alive or dead
Now it's already over 20 years ago
Anybody would have gotten over it
But I don't know why I sooo liked her
See other women I don't want to pursue
Not Molly I don't want to marry
So when I saw Molly there (at the next table)
I rushed over and hugged her
Wanted to pine about our long-lost love
Kiss her all over and leave lovelorn tears
Suddenly out rushed some big-sized dudes
Without a word, knocked me to the ground
Some wanted to break my bones
Some wanted to skin me alive
Even if it's just a case of mis-identity
They shouldn't beat me up till so jialat
But as they say, Good deeds seldom heard
Bad deeds spread like wild fire
Word got to my lousy manager
He said I was a samseng-in-gentleman-clothing
And promptly fired me on the spot
You say lah, do I deserve that?
Do I deserve that?

- translated by TC Lai

咸沙梨 - harm sar lei - a smallish, brown skin Chinese pear with gritty but juicy flesh. Pumiced with a salt and sour plum sprinkle, hence 咸沙梨 or harm sar lei (Cantonese).


No comments:

Post a Comment