Pages

Saturday 25 January 2014

A Cake To Savour


I loved a girl
Who offered me much
First a raisin
Then a fleshy nut

I wondered why
She was being nice
And then she
Offered me something spiced

Ooh, I cooed
Is this going far?
She then interrupted
And gave wine from a jar

Oh man, I said
Inside my head and tipsy
This girl is doubly
Intoxicatingly lovely

Chew on this
She commanded and grinned
Hmm, is it a lemon peel
Or could it be an orange rind?

She then dangled
A shiny, brandied cherry
All I could do
Was become a helpless puppy

Into this mix
She threw in more nuts
Oh my oh my
I'm dazed, I'm lovestruck

Of course of course
That was not the end
She had to unwrap
A buttered slice with a crispy end

Steeped in molasses
Steeped in wine
Steeped in everything
Gone before that was oh, so divine

And hence from this one night
Into memories it did bake
All that I love to savour
And found inside a rich fruitcake

- by TC Lai

No comments:

Post a Comment