Pages

Tuesday 5 February 2013

A Song To Sing


(For all the women who want to "wiggle their bottom and break into song". Thanks, Nancy.)

What is it about a song that makes me so
I grab a mike and I suddenly become J Lo

The conservative in me takes early flight
I wiggle my bottom and shriek with delight

My companions are suddenly made aware
Ooh! How come she's never been there?

A life of servitude cleaning up a home
A life of commitment to a man who roamed

On the fringes of fury and madness
"Oh, don't blame me! I am like that!"

How to love a man who says such things
How to love a man who won't change things

So into this box goes all my frustrations
So into this box lives all my expectations

In this box, a rather large K-box
I find my friends, my fellow vocal box

That gives me voice to my other self
That gives me voice to my loving self

A song I sing I sing for me
A song I sing for the children of three

That they may grow to see the light
Of a loving gentleman's great delight

Of seeing his wife blossom in unfettered flight
Even if she is flirting/cajoling for just one night

For when the eyes are there and the love evident
He's the song I sing and the dance I dance

For "Impossible!" only puts up walls
For "Impossible!" only makes life sore

For "Impossible!" kills my voice
Should I settle for that coz I said my vows?

No, I shall not be battered and bullied
Nor my life lived in a narrow alley

Where I can see but liittle light
Where I can see but a dead end in sight

What I want is not "impossible"
What I want is a glimmer of "possible"

So what if I don't sound much like J Lo
At least I'm encouraged to reach keys hi, lo

To be loved for what and who I am
In a K-box, in a song box, in a kinship den

- by TC Lai

No comments:

Post a Comment