Pages

Tuesday 14 February 2012

All I'll Ever Need - A Valentine's Day Poem

When all is said and done
When the dishes are cleared
I sit with the lights dimmed low
And watch as he reads his papers
and slumps to sleep
No Valentine's rose necessary
No gift too much
For warmth by the hearth
With the man who's given
a life for my comfort
So I might live
A family, a friend, a passage
And as I sit and he snores
Ever so gently
I remember of days gone by
When my hand was precious to hold
When my cheek was like petal to caress
But now that I am older
And the senses not keen
I still feel the tenderness and sweetness
but in my heart. For though he is short on gifts
and sweetened words, he is sincere
in those three important little words: I Love You
And that, stretched over a lifetime
Is all I'll ever need

- by TC Lai


Next: The Old Lone Tree (A Valentine's Day Poem)

No comments:

Post a Comment