Pages

Wednesday 15 February 2012

A Need, a Want, a Desire














I was asked how love blooms
I said it requires no seed
Then I was asked why it festers
I said 'cos it's a want that comes from no need
But there's always a great need!
A need to be with that special someone!!!

Is it a need, I ask, or is it a desire?
A need can be satisfied but a desire lingers
Yes, yes, it's a desire!
Oh how I desire her so
But why? 'Cos love is blind?
Oh, don't be cliche! Love is not blind
But is not all desire blind?

I have a want because there is a need
I have a need because there is a desire
And there is a desire because...
So it is not love
Just as a flame burns doesn't mean there's
a love for light
Just as there is hunger, not all food can 
make it right
So what is it with me and Angie
This lingering, festering affection

We could have been one, but we are not
We could have stepped out but I dared not
Not because I did not like her
Not because I did not love her
Sweet laughter,
Kind smile,
Soulful eyes,
and cute voice that was like a song in my ear

But I was mistaken
that there was still something between me and Dee
It had grown from a desire, a need, a want.

But the want was waning, the need was dying
And the desire gone.

Still you try not to give up
For love's path is not always easy.

But there's Angie
So natural, so comfortable
If only we had met sooner.

But without Dee, there wouldn't have been
an Angie, for they were mates from a distant land.

And so, what am I to do?
Leave one for the other?

My righteous self was disapproving
"T'is not right..."

And so that fateful day when Angie asked
"Be with me?"
When she actually said:
"How are you and Dee?"

I said ok when I should have said
"I rather be with you."

I could tell she was crestfallen, her shoulders slumped
And I wished immediately those words taken back

Though what came out of my lips
was despised by the heart
I didn't say more

Oh why oh why didn't I say more!
Oh why???

It's been long since Dee is gone
And so is Angie

All that remains
is but a photo in a red tin box

That on certain days
There is a great need to take it out
For a great want to see
those soulful eyes
that kind smile.
And a great desire to say
"Be with me?"

Sigh. Always there remains a need, a want, a desire

- by TC Lai

Next: We Dance

No comments:

Post a Comment