Pages

Tuesday 14 February 2012

The Old Lone Tree - Valentine's Day Poem 2

I come home early
and the house is empty
I put the roses down
and go into the kitchen
No one's there.
I open the fridge and lunch greets me
with a note:
"Your favourite :-)"
I smile
It's not the first one she has given me.
I pocket the note and tuck in
I don't finish the meal for the quiet is unusual
Where is she?
I peer into the garden and see the flowers
tendered to by her loving hands
I stroke the curtains by the window
picked by her good taste
I then see the kitchen that has served
a lifetime of nourishment.
The dent in her chopping board 
the bald patch of her wok
the laundry dried and collected in a pile.
They smell of her favourite Lavender
It's all the cologne I've ever needed.
Outside the air is still
Evening has come and all is quiet
Even the crickets don't speak
What is going on?
I sit and wait. But no one comes
Soon night falls and our kitchen light
is the only yellow in the night.
I sit like that for what seem like an age
as the weather outside changes from 
Spring to Summer to Autumn to Winter
I see things grow, flower and then die
I see myself young again, laughing, partying
graduating, getting my first job, earning my first million. 
I grow fat and then thin then old
I sit alone in an expensive car parked by a big house
I have all the things I dream about
But just as I am old and dry
I feel hollow inside
So, this is how an old lone tree feels
Desperately bleached and hard.
A door opens and suddenly the world outside returns
I am back in the kitchen with my dinner.
My love walks in
She is smiling and holding a box
I grab her waist and hold her tight
I nudge my cheek into the softness of her flesh 
It is familiar, her waist, her shape
I hate to let go but I don't want to seem foolish
Is everything all right, she asks
I blink a tear away and smiles
So you found the present, I say
Uh huh, she winks as she says this
You know I hate expensive presents
I know, I reply, sheepish.
She unwraps the box and I fish the smiley from my pocket
I drop it in with the rest
She looks in and a thousand smileys beam back at her
Oh, you've kept them, she says, tears welling in her eyes
We hug and then kiss
Words unnecessary
The world outside grows quiet again 
and dim
For there is now only the two of us
As I taste her softness and she mine
I know I shall never be an old lone tree

- by TC Lai


Next: A Need, A Want, A Desire

No comments:

Post a Comment