Pages

Tuesday 27 May 2014

An Apron Gift



My apron is new
I've yet to wear
It's given of love
And I'm afraid it will tear

So I cook without one
Mindful of spills and leaping oils
Wondering when's a perfect time
To put it on and have it spoil

Then junior came
After a fantastic meal 
Turns me on
Turns my missus on, better still

Still the apron hangs on
Like a new suit in the wardrobe
Or like a silent mother in law
Reminding of how a husband could

Make his darling wife feel loved
Make his growing son feel safe
Make his pretty home a refuge
Make his Private Kitchen a slave

For home's not a home
Until the kitchen is broken in
For home is only a home
When folks start to dine in

I love the banter
I love the food I cook
Better yet I love
The people who enjoy my food

So, apron or not
Whatever it may think
I will pare, chop and sous vide
Embrace my cooker to the kitchen sink

For when the apron is new
The recipes will never grow cold
So that's the gift my true love gave
Our love to remain new till we are very old

- by TC Lai (a poem inspired by a D Woo clamour, SBM member)

No comments:

Post a Comment