Pages

Wednesday 30 January 2013

A Schoolboy Crush



It was a time of innocence
Of chalkboards and schoolbus distance
Of a girl whose sunny smile
Kept me distracted for a long, long while

My first present to her was a set of dolls
From saved pocket money as I do recall
All made-up pretty and dressed up nice
Not much bigger than two stacked up dice

A day in school did finally come
When I stood by her all silly and dumb
I could only look at her with loving gaze
All love-struck, speechless and kinda' dazed

From then on my head would swell
Whenever I got to school and hear the bell
For in class there was only joy
To see her laugh, to hear her voice

Chorus:
Then there's that thing she does with her hair
Then there's that thing she does without a care

Then there's that thing that leaves me weak
Then there's that thing that my heart will seek

A love so new
A love so true
A love I love... Only you

Now it is a time of reflection
Of old friends and youthful action
I recall that girl of darker hair and skin
Whose smile and eyes could shut out din

I know not now how she might look
Does she play the guitar, does she cook?
I remember her from Girl Guide days
Me with my NPCC and drill marching ways

Ah, I am glad for a puppy love expressed
At least I will not live forever in regret
For when one's heart is shining like a light
It should bathe the other with full delight

A virgin love is a treasure to keep
To remind us before our final sleep
Of a time when the world was right
And there sweetly I will go into the night

- by TC Lai


6 comments:

  1. Hello! Really enjoyed your poem! Found it by accident while searching for tiny dolls! Your picture of the tiny dolls is so cute! Are the dolls yours? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply! They are so cute, would you be interested in selling a few of them? Where did you ever find them? Not sure which place I should reply to, so you will probably get this twice...sorry about that! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bought them from a mama shop (or mamak shop, a streetside Indian sundry shop common in 60s/70s Singapore). They are called Liddle Kiddles. Haven't decided if to sell them. But you can find some on sale at eBay. I think they were only in production for 2/3 years. Probably from the Liddle Kiddle Jewelery Locket or Ring collection (given their big eyes).

      Delete